Thursday, February 14, 2019

Games and Painting, early February

We got some snow this week, which unfortunately saw the postponement of Ambuscade!, which I was quite looking forward to playing in. Nonetheless, I was able to get in a couple Warmachine games.

Grymkin Mirror Match

I played vs. Remy at Guardian on a gorgeous and cold day. He dropped Heretic into my Wanderer list (couldn't be bothered to haul the enormous Old Witch model around). We both played fairly well, but he ran out of time on the clock due to unfamiliarity with his list. Heretic being able to cast Star Crossed off of Wanderer's card was a bit of an unpleasant surprise for me...

Remy's first turn, moving up.

End of game.

I'm not really sure I like the Wanderer. He's got a couple really good tricks (Star Crossed, road markers, Veil of Mists) but aside from those he does very little either himself or for his army. He has no offensive output, and Grymkin doesn't really have enough of a Defense skew to make stacking it via Star Crossed a significant challenge for opponents. Combined, these mean he's not as engaging to play as I'd like. I'm afraid that after this master's league, he probably gets dropped in favor of Dreamer... just like everyone else plays. (Probably paired with King of Nothing or Child because I don't like lugging around Old Witch, even if I love the model.)

Or Skorne. That's hot right now, and I have a large collection I haven't played since Mark 3 came out...

Vs. Trollbloods

Had to drive across town for this one and it was uncomfortably tight; both Dan and I are parents of small children and had to squeeze the game in before school got out. Who knew kids would cramp your gaming lifestyle so much?

He put a Madrak1 Band of Heroes list down against my Wanderer list (see above re: Old Witch model). Scenario was the Pit II, aka "championship belt." Dan took it on scenario; I just didn't have enough offense to get the attrition edge AND contest the left-hand zone.

Early days.

End of game - he's totally dominated the left flank.

Painting

I broke out the airbrush after a long hiatus and tried my first experiment at proper zenithal priming:



And then I finished a couple models for my Dungeons & Dragons game:

Purple Worm!
Shambling Mound!


Pretty happy with how these turned out. Quick, easy, and definitely good enough.

No comments: