Monday, September 26, 2016

Saga and Swedes

I had the pleasure of playing some historicals this past Saturday at Guardian Games, though not as many as I'd have liked.

First off was the monthly historical games day, which has rather developed into "28mm medieval skirmish" due to the interests of the regular attendees. I threw down my Crusaders in a Saga game against some Anglo-Saxons in a battle for the ford.

The Anglo-Saxon Warlord considers his options

The Crusader band is decimated, but the Anglo-Saxon warlord is dead and his warband on the back foot.
It went well enough, though my opponent conceded after my fourth turn. He felt that he was in an irreversible position, though I disagreed. Still, it was nice to break out the crusaders again after a few months. I'm not terribly happy with some of the paint jobs, and I think they might get repainted sooner than later - and I really would like to replace my mounted knights with some Perry or Gripping Beast models.

After, I took command of the Imperial army to put paid to Gustavus Adolphus' attempt to turn the tide of the Thirty Years War (as commanded by Andy and Victor, and put on by Kevin). This was something of a test game for the Pike and Shotte rules from Warlord.

Closing lines, from the Imperial point of view.

Swedish maneuvering

Imperial left flank and center getting it rather rough
Our verdict was that it's a decent rules set, and worth playing again. One house rule we'll probably be using is to grant a commander a single activation if they fail their first command roll in their turn - something both the Saxons and the Imperials needed to take advantage of several turns in a row.

No comments: